Hints, The Newbie Guide
Did you know that...
- When you begin the game, you start with a free 100,000
Experience points, which you may spend at will.
- Every new unmapped room you walk through gives you at least
500 free exp. The higher your personal explore percent is,
the more you gain per room. Try exploring all of the newbie
areas, but beware of death traps in higher level places!
- If you're new, and have never reincarnated your character,
you get a bonus consisting of a few spell or skill percents
automatically trained for free.
- Buju will give a transportation stone to new players to help
them on their travels. He also is a skilled navigator, and
can easily send you directly to your guild for free if your
level is not higher than 45.
- Mad Hettie, in ZombieCity, will sell extremely cheap, yet
unchestable weapons to newbies, should you find yourself in
need of equipment. Just seek her out in ZombieCity and 'buy'
- When you begin your travels, an extremely knowledgable skull
arrives to help you. Should you dismiss him and wish for his
return, simply type 'summon_skull'.
- Typing 'builtin' will show you a list of pre-defined commands
your character has on the game. Read 'help command' and 'help
alias' to learn how to make more in the correct way.
- If you don't dispose of corpses, they will oftentimes get up
and start to attack you again! These Zombies are much more
difficult than the original monster, so be sure to do something
about your corpses. The command 'dg' allows you to use your hands
to bury a corpse, if you have no other options available.
- An easy way to make cash as a newbie while killing in Del's Newbie
Area is to take those corpses to Lim-Dul (In the northeast corner
of ZombieCity, just inside the graveyard) and he will pay you
about 50gp each!
- While finding magical eq which helps your stats and regeneration
is nice, most folks find that it isn't even necessary to play the
game until your level reaches around 20-25. It's then when you
should really start considering gathering eq and saving it!
- If you wish to leave the game for any length of time, and have
gathered equipment you do wish to keep, seek out the Rent Room in
ZombieCity for quick and easy storage. For other possibilities,
be sure to read 'help storing eq' and 'help castles'.
- If Armageddon has arrived to the game, you may 'tell armageddon cs'
for a free trip back to ZombieCity. Armageddon knows a few more
teleportation tricks as well, should you ask him.
- If you should happen to die, you'll need to find a Cleric who
can 'Resurrect' you. Try reading the file 'help death' on the
game now for more info, as it's best to learn such information
before it happens.
- When you first Reincarnate (this is not the same as 'resurrect'!),
you have what is called a 'Reinc Tax' of usually about 10%. This
means if you reinc again immediatly, you will lose about 10% of
your total exp worth. Each week you wait drops this Reinc Tax
about 1%. The Minimum Reinc Tax is 1%.
- You can easily find out your total worth by asking a Cleric for
an 'ew' or 'Estimate Worth'. This spell also helps you to determine
your current Reinc Tax.
- Doing quests is optional, but having enough quest points reduces
your main level cost by 25%. Talk to Lachesis southeast of the
Adv-Guild for more info.
- While you can join a secondary guild at any time when you have a
free level, it is most often prudent to wait until you are
level 60+ to do so. Subguilds to your primary guild may only be
joined after you attain 45 levels in the primary guild itself.
- Try typing the command 'set' to configure a few of your user
preferences. Most importantly your e-mail address.
- ZombieMUD has colours. If your terminal supports them, type 'term
ansi+'. Also 'set color_map on' will show the map of the outworld
in full colour.
- There are many channels out there to converse on. Type 'channels
list' to see which ones you may join.
- The [newbie] channel is there to help you. Please feel free to ask
questions on it. It is illegal for a player to give wrong information
on [newbie]. Do not ask your questions on [mud], as 90% of the time
the answer you recieve there will be wrong.
- Many guilds, and even some races, have what is known as a Mastery
System, which allows you to greatly improve your character through
various methods of play. Be sure to explore your guild area or ask
around to learn the inner workings of your guild.
- Most races have special abilities inherent to the race. Type 'help
race' to learn what hidden power your chosen race possesses.
- An amazing amount of game information can be found on the various
Player-created Webpages which are linked on www.zombiemud.org. Be
sure to check them out, as you'd be amazed how much you can learn
from your fellow mortals.
- Be sure to read through the rules of ZombieMUD before you unwittingly
break them. Botting and Multiplaying are illegal, so don't even try it.
Type 'help topics' and read the rules sections for more details.
See also, 'newbie', 'channels', 'set'.
« Back to topics